শনিবার, ৯ এপ্রিল, ২০১৬

Life's looking better at 108

S Dilip Roy with Andrew Eagle
To find proof that a human life can turn brighter even after the first one hundred years, it might do as well to travel to the Teesta River basin in Lalmonirhat. There, in Mahishkhocha village of Aditmari upazila, 108-year-old Taramoni Das is counting the last twelve months among her best.
“These days I enjoy milk, eggs, fish, any kind of nourishing food regularly,” says a satisfied Das. “For most of my life such types of food were only a dream.”
The mother of five daughters and one son has spent her life working. From the age of eight she took up her family's ancestral profession of making things from bamboo. Since the death of her husband Taraknath Das 19 years ago, bamboo work, which left her a pittance of about 45 taka per day to cover living costs, was her only income.
“Even just a year ago, I was so frustrated from life's continuous struggle,” says Das.
Then, quite unexpectedly, a favourable breeze of change blew her way. On 8 April 2015, The Daily Star published an article about the hardworking centenarian and it so moved a kindly woman in the national capital that the woman came forward with an offer of support.
“I get Tk 3,000 each month from my donor, the lady in Dhaka,” says Das. “I spend Tk 2,500 to live and save Tk 500.” The philanthropist from Dhaka has also helped Das build and furnish a tin-shed room in which to live. Finally, at age 107, Das found herself quite suddenly in a position to retire.
Except that she didn't.
 
She keeps in touch with her patron via mobile phone. Photo: Star
“I don't need to earn money from bamboo work anymore,” Das explains, “but I still work because it's my habit and I can't forget my ancestral job. Besides, the energy of work keeps me going and helps my grandchildren.” Das believes everybody should work in order to keep good health in mind and body.
“Taramoni Das is very happy lately,” says neighbour Sudhir Chandra Das, 65. “Her life used to be full of sorrow but now she's always smiling. The generosity of the woman from Dhaka has made a big difference.” Attesting to the centenarian's good health, Sudhir believes the elderly citizen has set an example for all the villagers of how to reach longevity despite a life of hardship.
Moreover, according to the example set by Das, the first decade beyond the century is not a time to neglect learning. She's discovered how to use a mobile phone so that she can chat regularly with her newfound Dhaka philanthropist friend.
“I only wish to help an elderly widow who has really struggled,” the anonymous donor told this newspaper by telephone. “I am thankful to The Daily Star since if it had not covered the story of Taramoni Das I never would've heard of her, I wouldn't have been able to assist.”
Asked for her advice on how to live a long life, Das returns to the subject of work. “People should respect their profession and try to work every day, as they can,” she says. source:thedailystar
Share:

0 মন্তব্য(গুলি):

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

ব্লগ সংরক্ষাণাগার

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Definition List